Wednesday, June 10, 2009

cooking attempt

whenever my mom advice me that i should learn to cook, i'd roll my eyes.
when she teases me that it will be difficult for me to married cos of my lack of cooking skills, i will tell her that i'll marry a rich guy and we'll employ chefs!
yea yea....fairy-tail but i'm not gonna learn to cook just to impress a guy..
i'll learn for the sake that one day i'll be living on my own and that when i can't afford to eat out every day.
and the fact that i will miss my mom's cooking!
i already know how to make spices ever since my mom tortured me to peel the onions and stuff (or at least i think i do)
but one thing i'm gross-out by is slimmy stuff like chicken's breast, fish's whatever....ewk...
i don't consider myself as a girly-girl....but i hate icky stuff!!

so i took it one step at a time by cooking up a meal....or at least attempted to.
on monday, the "simplest" thing i can give a try on is fried mee with egg...wanted to add prawns but there wasn't any
sounds simple.....but i have never fry mee in my life
help my mom to prepare and hold the laddle to golek-golek the mee, yes
actually cooking it myself from start to finish, no
apart from forgetting to add oil before i fried the egg -.-''' , i forgot to put garlic and i accidentally put too much sesame oil into the fried mee
i was too hungry to complain....however, i admit that it suck!
attempt 1 = edible but failed!!

next day (yesterday), fried rice...........also, have no clue how to fry rice.
so mom told me how to do it the previous nite, dad even wrote down whatever she said.
dad already cooked rice and prepare every ingredient i need before he left the house.
sounds like i'm hopeless..but no....in my defense, cos by the time i reach home at 7...i'll be starving.
not much time to cook, so daddy prepared everything....all i need to do is FRY the damn rice
step 1 : put a slice or two of butter in the heated kuali
step 2 : add bawang putih and salt
step 3 : add the egg, fish cake and luncheon meat
step 4: add the rice
sounds so easy......but as i look at my pale rice, i added light soya sauce
just a little so that it doesn't get too salty
but it was still pale....so i added the thick black soya sauce
and that was when disaster happen
i took off the cap so that the sauce will come out faster and i accidentally looked away while doing that for just a tiny second
and wa-lah.....i had black rice!!!!!!
i quickily scooped the portion of extremely black rice and threw away
but too late......even with that blacken rice...the rest was all affected.
damn, my rice was so dark....but it wasn't too bad...should have put a little more salt though
attempt 2 : succeeded (a bit).

conclusion : i'm hopeless in the kitchen but i'm not giving up (i think)
today's dinner = out with lawyers in a baba nyonya restaurant
thank goodness......i needed some REAL food as oppose to the little less of a meal i had for the last 2 days
maybe i'll attempt to fry chillie fish and long beans or spinach with sambal and egg soup tomorrow
sounds easy but it's not going to taste like mummy's cooking
thank goodness she already skin the fish and prepared all spices
all i have to do is put those in the kuali and fry it!
if i can't even do that, my gosh.....die joann die!!
nah----eat out forever..............!

1 comment:

rae said...

haha, so funny..die la i like that. how come u and i had the same thought to cook this week? me ok lor so far..but to cook every thing from scratch, havent done yet.